Friday, April 8, 2011

The Fourth Station

The Fourth Station
Jesus Meets His Mother
Blessed Savior, your eyes meet your mother's and memories fill both your hearts.  "...you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins."  We give thanks for so great a love which bore you.  We give praise for so great a love which bears us.
Passion of the Christ movie


The above Station of the Cross meditation was written by my wife and I a few years ago during my brief tenure as a rector at an Episcopal parish.

I recall the stir that was caused when I replaced the 14 1970 poster board collection of social justice photos with traditional stations.  We also needed station booklets (for the 4 people who would attend) so my wife and I compiled and produced station booklets with scripture and prayers.

A couple of months later we went on pilgrimage to Medjugorje...and you know the rest of the story.

Yesterday I remembered this particular station while I lead youth and teachers on a day of retreat. The stations of the cross were large sculptures--certainly a lost art in many Catholic churches today.
We walked from station to station and took the time to just stare at the sculptures.  When we reached the fourth I asked them to just focus on the faces of Mary and Jesus.
After a short time a few of the kids dropped to their knees.

By the end of the 14th station everyone was on their knees.

Yeh.  Mary has a way of taking your hand.