Thursday, April 26, 2012

Consecrating

In 33 days we will be venturing on another pilgrimage to Medjugorje.
While the planning and the praying and the fasting have been ongoing it's this time when things really start to get exciting.
When I made my first pilgrimage I ended up completing St. Louis de Montfort's 33 day Consecration to the Blessed Virgin Mary sitting at the base of Mt. Krizevac (Cross Mountain).
Just a short time ago, my brother emailed me reminding me that today is day '33'.
So it begins.

I was liturgically raised on folk Masses and religious education with crepe paper.  I never heard of St. Louis de Montfort until years later in seminary and even then such devotional focus was not encouraged.  I hear things have changed and I hope there is a healthy balance.

There is a power in consecrating oneself.
Prayers of consecration really are about surrender and commitment.  
When the Eucharist is consecrated--it is about Christ's surrender to His Father's will and His commitment to us.

My lovely wife decided a few months back that we would enshrine our home to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Wouldn't you know it--an old classmate and brother priest shared that he recently enshrined a few homes in his diocese.  When he arrived my wife, the perfect sacristan, had the prayers, the pictures, and the candles all ready
So it was a weekend of prayer and feasting.
(and of course consecrating)
Try it.