Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Power

scene:
Yesterday morning, I am in the attic, cutting wires and struggling with removing a bathroom exhaust fan that wouldn't budge.
My father enters stage right and hollers...

father:  Why are you pounding the hallway light thru the ceiling?
me (from attic):  Hallway light??
father:  What?
me: (louder) Hallway light?
father: Yep, the hallway light.  It's hanging from the ceiling.

a few minutes later
wife:  call an electrician.

I have been in the practice of asking St. Joseph to help me out when I begin projects.
My lovely wife reminded me that he was a carpenter not an electrician.

Admitting that I need help is not my strongest area.
Doesn't this happen in the spiritual life?

I suggested that we wait to call the electrician until we have a little more money.  I thought we could make do.  After all not all the power is out, just the power to the bathroom and hallway and attic.

In the spiritual life we lose power and, if we aren't careful we learn to function without it.
When a soul begins to lose its clear connection to God, it begins to make excuses.
When a soul begins to cut itself from the power of the sacraments and healthy community--light is lost.

Careful what lines you cut.